Mountjoy have recently signed up to the Care Leaver Covenant, a national inclusion programme that supports care leavers aged 16-25, helping them to live independently after leaving care.
This covenant, in addition to our signing of the Armed Forces Covenant and our Disability Confident accreditation, furthers Mountjoy’s commitment to providing equal opportunities throughout our business.
The covenant focuses on providing valuable opportunities for care leavers in five key areas, including
- Independent Living
- Education, Employment & Training
- Safety & Security
- Mental & Physical Health
Organisations who have signed up to the covenant commit to providing additional support and expertise to those leaving care, outside of that statutorily provided by local authorities. This can include a variety of opportunities, such as providing access to jobs, work placements, educational programmes, mentorship, or even discounts on company products.
As signatories, Mountjoy has pledged to implement the following additional support for Care Leavers during recruitment and within the business:
- Advertisement of vacancies for Call Handlers, Labourers, and Apprenticeships on the Care Leavers website, with guaranteed interviews for applicants through this channel.
- Additional support and guidance from our HR team throughout the recruitment process. This will be highlighted on our careers page, inviting care leavers to contact our HR team in confidence .
- Tracking of applications from care leavers to identify if there are any obstructions preventing care leavers from applying or continuing with an application. We will adjust our recruitment process for care leavers in accordance with this.
- Buddy/Mentoring Scheme for care leavers within our business, where they will be paired with a more experienced member of staff who will offer guidance.
- Each care leaver within the business will be paired with one of our Mental Health First Aiders, to provide additional support if requested.
Additional information regarding these offers and how to apply is available on the Care Leaver’s Covenant, accessible via the following link Care Leaver Opportunities - Care Leaver Covenant (mycovenant.org.uk).