Mountjoy has been awarded a Gold Investor in Young People Award at the Hampshire County Council 2019 Apprenticeship Awards. The ceremony, which took place on the 10th October at The Great Hall in Winchester, served to recognise and celebrate the achievements of apprentices and trainees from across Hampshire County Council. Attendees, including the Council's Chairman Charles Choudhary, also celebrated the contribution made by teams, mentors and staff who champion the Apprenticeship programme.
Mountjoy’s commitment to providing young people with the skills and development opportunities upon which to build their careers encompasses a variety of schemes. Over the past year, these have included, and are not limited to:
- Supporting 11 apprenticeships across the company, ranging from carpentry to quantity surveying roles. This forms part of our larger commitment to providing at least 10 apprenticeships per year, with guaranteed employment and mentorship for each apprentice in the years following their training
- Providing work experience opportunities for a number of young people from local schools and colleges; this year, these have included carpentry and plumbing placements
- Attending careers fairs and mock interviews across Hampshire, with the aim to inspire young people and advertise opportunities within the construction and maintenance industry – something they may not have necessarily considered before
- Supporting local businesses and mentoring programmes at our Head Office, including the University of Southampton’s Business Innovation Programme and the Education Business Partnership South’s LEAP Mentoring Programme. Each of these were aimed at developing a variety of employability skills within young people
- Providing corporate sponsorship for youth employability events, including the Fareham College Apprenticeship Awards in June 2019
To ensure we maintain our commitments, we regularly review our Community Activities Plan (which comprises events and activities focussed on inspiring young people). This forms part of our overall CSR commitment to our local area and is proactively updated through regular communication with local education providers.
We are incredibly proud to have been recognised for our commitments to enhancing young people’s lives in our community and look forward to continuing our efforts throughout the upcoming year.