Supervisor - Portsmouth City Council
Mountjoy specialises in providing professional and high-quality construction, refurbishment, building maintenance and facilities management services across the south of England.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Supervisor to join our dynamic team. This permanent position is well suited to an individual that is looking to advance their career and gain hands-on experience in a thriving and supportive workplace.
OUR COMPANY BENEFITS
- 31 days annual leave rising to 36 days with length of service (including bank holidays)
- We offer a flexible scheme to buy or sell up to 5 days of annual leave per year.
- Company sick pay after 12 months length of service
- Life Insurance
- Octopus Electric Dreams Car Scheme to enable staff to drive a new electric car - paid for through salary sacrifice.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Employee recognition scheme
- Length of Service Rewards
- Defined contribution Pension Scheme of 8% (3% Employer and 5% Employee)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme to support all staff
- You will be issued your own company vehicle and fuel card
- Full uniform and safety equipment is provided
- Access to a tool loan for all trade staff
- Refer a Friend scheme
You will be predominantly working within Portsmouth City Council’s (PCC) Housing and Corporate Assets contract. The contract services over 8000 social housing homes and 718 council buildings providing responsive, voids and planned maintenance.
You are responsible for monitoring and supervising work delivered in the field by operatives and sub-contractors within Portsmouth City Council’s (PCC) Housing and Corporate Assets stock. As Supervisor you are accountable for ensuring you, and those that you manage, support and supervise follow and comply with Contract and Company processes and procedures.
KEY ELEMENTS OF THE ROLE
- Support and empower operatives to make decisions so that they achieve the right work at the right time without using you as their default decision maker following the value and enabling steps which are;
- receive and issue clean information;
- access to the property;
- asking for additional repairs;
- fully diagnosing;
- placing only one order with our materials service;
- trying to complete the repair in one visit; and
- book all required trades and future visits whilst on site to the time and date the tenant requests.
- Manage, measure, and monitor operatives and subcontractors to ensure;
- the correct process is being followed (value and enabling steps as above);
- operatives are able to apply PLAN and are empowered to do so;
- the tenant is pleased with the repair taking place and any issues or concerns are addressed to their satisfaction;
- the quality of service and workmanship is of a high standard;
- that value for money is being achieved in terms of time taken, materials used, and working methods;
- work is being affected safely;
- Sub-contractors work is of a high quality, represents VfM, and that they are working safely.
- Ensure operatives use their vehicle’s safely. Report accidents and damage when it occurs, keeping the vehicle maintained, clean and tidy. Have suitable van stock which is being replenished, and that they are using materials and equipment efficiently
- Escalate to the Lead Supervisor any serious events or occurrences that need to be addressed urgently, and highlight key issues, trends or issues that could affect service delivery performance longer term if not addressed.
- Be accountable for the jobs you manage, supporting the Operations Centre when pulled upon to deal with technical queries or general issues.
- Scope and survey large works such as Task Orders, Quoted works, DFG’s, Voids, and Kitchens providing cost estimates in terms of time, materials, plant, programs of works, risk assessments, and method statements, compliant to CDM 2015.
- Ensure large works that you are accountable for, such as Task Orders, Quoted works, DFG’s, Voids, and Kitchens are supervised and monitored through to completion.
- Recruit and induct operatives ensuring they have a professional introduction to the company and contract and ensure the probationary process is effectively managed and completed to a successful outcome for the company.
- Understand each toolbox talk topic and deliver confidently yourself, ensuring that operatives attend when required.
- Treat tenants with respect, demonstrating a courteous manner, escalating if an issue cannot be resolved to the Lead Supervisor.
- Reinforce the Health and Safety culture by ensuring that company practices and policies are being followed and adhered to by you and others in the field, undertaking documented observations, highlighting issues and trends as they occur.
- Carry out employee investigations, ensuring they are completed in a professional and timely manner.
- Carry out absence management procedures, undertaking return to work interviews, and performance reviews where required.
- Carry out accident incident, and near miss investigations, ensuring these are completed in a professional and timely manner.
- Provide escalation as part of an out of hours service, attending site where requested.
- Technical expertise, qualifications or apprenticeship in a trade skill.
- IOSH Managing Safely.
- Construction Skills Certificate Scheme Accreditation (Desirable).
- Have a full, clean driving licence.
- Technical building knowledge of working methods, practices, procedures, processes, regulations, and legislation.
- Have knowledge of the materials and methods used in the construction and building maintenance industry.
- 5 years’ experience of working in a Building Maintenance environment.
- 2 years’ experience of working in Social Housing environment (preferred).
- Exposure to a Maintenance Contract that has used the Systems Thinking Methodology and Principles to deliver the service (Desirable).
- Demonstrated through your attitude and application that you are a natural leader in the field.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to become our Supervisor then please click “apply” now – We’d love to hear from you!
The company is an Equal Opportunities employer and a member of the Disability Confident Scheme, and are also a member of the Hampshire Construction Training Association.
It is a further requirement that all staff must pass a DBS check.
Our Company values
We take pride in everything we do - Which means we expect all our employees to:
Present a professional appearance at all times.
Keep your vehicle clean and tidy at all times.
Keep your work area safe, tidy and well organised.
Deliver a high standard of work at all times