Thorner's Court is a residential home for single women in need, over the age of 55. Located in Southampton and owned and operated by Thorner's Homes, a registered Almhouse Charity, the home is comprised of 9 single bedroom, self-contained flats, a Guest flat, warden office, communal facilities, circulation areas and passenger lift. In 2022, Mountjoy won a £3m contract with Thorner's Homes for the three-phased internal remodelling and refurbishment of the building. Phase 1 was carried out from February to August 2022, with a total value of £1m.
Solution- Phase 1
The works for Phase 1 included:
- The demolishing of internal partitions and reconfiguring room layouts
- Internal plasterwork to walls and ceilings
- New plumbing, mechanical, and electrical services
- Alterations to below ground drainage to suit new shower rooms
- Alterations and repairs to existing flat roofs to suit repositioned above ground drainage
- Replacement of polycarbonate roof to third floor corridor with solid roof
- The stripping of old kitchens and installation of new kitchens and appliances
- Refurbishment of fire doors to circulation spaces
- Redecoration of circulation spaces, staircases, and entrance foyer
- Conversion of existing store room into temporary laundry and permanent drying room
Additionally, it was found that the floor tiles throughout all areas of Phase 1 contained asbestos, and so additional works were taken on and asbestos removal subcontractors were hired.
Throughout Phase 1, residents and staff remained on site, with residents moving into alternative flats which remained unaffected, and so safety was an integral part of the planning stage.
Final handover for Phase 1 was completed on the 9th of August, with Phase 2 beginning the same month.