Painter & Decorator - Portsmouth City Council
Mountjoy specialises in providing professional and high-quality construction, refurbishment, building maintenance and facilities management services across the south of England.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, and conscientious Painter and Decorator to join our dynamic team. This permanent position is well suited to an individual that is looking to advance their career and gain hands-on experience in a thriving and supportive workplace.
OUR COMPANY BENEFITS
- 31 days annual leave rising to 36 days with length of service (including bank holidays)
- We offer a flexible scheme to buy or sell up to 5 days of annual leave per year.
- Company sick pay after 12 months length of service
- Life Insurance
- Octopus Electric Dreams Car Scheme to enable staff to drive a new electric car - paid for through salary sacrifice.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Employee recognition scheme
- Length of Service Rewards
- Defined contribution Pension Scheme of 8% (3% Employer and 5% Employee)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme to support all staff
- You will be issued your own company vehicle and fuel card
- Full uniform and safety equipment is provided
- Access to a tool loan for all trade staff
- Refer a Friend scheme
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Undertake responsive and routine repairs and void repairs to Portsmouth City Council’s (PCC) Housing and Corporate Assets stock, and from time to time support other maintenance contracts as required. You will be working in all of PCC’s property portfolio including, but not limited to, Social Housing, Schools, Public Conveniences, Offices, Heritage and Museums
The key activities you will undertake in this role will be:
A wide variety of Painting and Decorating repairs in occupied homes, buildings and empty properties. The work will include; all types of preparation, emulsion, gloss painting, wallpaper hanging, artex repairs and non-licenced asbestos removal (where full training will be given)
- Accountable for the quality of workmanship, method used to affect the repair, safety of yourself and those around whilst the repair is undertaken, and safe disposal of waste.
- Always protect the tenants’ property before starting the work and leave the property clean and tidy having completed the work.
- Complete the repair in one visit where possible.
- When diagnosing repairs, always carry out a risk assessment ensuring all risks are identified, then use the right method to carry out the work in consideration of these risks, wearing the appropriate PPE.
- Able to use the phone or PDA to communicate effectively, explaining yourself clearly and concisely.
- Be comfortable in dealing with residents, and representatives of Portsmouth City Council. Remain professional even when issues are contentious.
- Have an organised approach to meet the demands of Mountjoy and PCC in an effective and timely manner.
- Be able to diagnose the right repair following the value steps.
- Have a practical approach to health and safety, ensuring that you and others are safe at all times.
- NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating or equivalent
- 2 – 5 yrs. experience of working in Social Housing or Building Maintenance environment.
A full, clean current driving licence is needed so you can drive one of our vans.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to become our Painter and Decorator then please click “apply” now – We’d love to hear from you!
The company is an Equal Opportunities employer and a member of the Disability Confident Scheme, and are also a member of the Hampshire Construction Training Association.
It is a further requirement that all staff must pass a DBS check.
Our Company values
We take pride in everything we do - Which means we expect all our employees to:
Present a professional appearance at all times.
Keep your vehicle clean and tidy at all times.
Keep your work area safe, tidy and well organised.
Deliver a high standard of work at all times